Surfing & Kayaking@Mahabalipuram
About the Place:
Mahabalipuram, is a town in Kancheepuram district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, 58 km south of the city of Chennai.
It has a group of sanctuaries carved out of rock in the 7th and 8th centuries: Rathas (temples in the form of chariots), Mandapas (cave sanctuaries), giant open-air rock reliefs such as the famous Descent of the Ganges, and the Shore Temple, with thousands of sculptures to the glory of Shiva. The Group of Monuments at Mahabalipuram has been classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Places of Interest:
Thirukadalmallai, the temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu. It was also built by Pallava King in order to safeguard the sculptures from the ocean.
Descent of the Ganges or Bagiratha’s Penance – a giant open-air rock relief
Varaha Cave Temple – a small rock-cut temple dating back to the 7th century.
The Shore Temple – a structural temple along the Bay of Bengal with the entrance from the western side away from the sea.
Pancha Rathas (Five Chariots) – five monolithic pyramidal structures named after the Pandavas (Arjuna, Bhima, Yudhishtra, Nakula and Sahadeva) and Draupadi. An interesting aspect of the rathas is that, despite their sizes they are not assembled – each of these is carved from one single large piece of stone.
Light House, built in 1894.
What you learn about Surfing:
- Surf awareness – reading surf conditions and how to identify the dangers of the ocean (rips, shorebreaks etc)
- Basic fitness for surfing
- Paddling and standing up
- Catching broken waves
- Wiping out safety
- Equipment for surfing
- Sport safe behaviour – surf etiquette
- Environmental awareness
What you learn about Kayaking:
- Getting in from a dock
- Getting in from a shore
- Keeping balance
- Paddling gear and kayak parts
- Paddling technique
- Paddle as Stern Rudder
- Forward and Reverse sweep strokes
- Carving turns
- Moving sideways with sculling draw
- Safe Kayaking
Day 01: Get fresh up at our Accommodation Location. Have Authentic local cuisine for Breakfast, Introduction to Surfing & Kayaking. Indulge in Water Sports – Surfing & Kayaking along the coast exploring the coastal life riding on the waves, Sufficient and healthy Lunch before you get hungry. Stay at our Accommodation. Dinner, BBQ, Bonfire depending on weather and accommodation type & restrictions
Day 02: Get up early, get to sea for fun-filled activities, Fresh up, Breakfast, Visit Heritage sites at Mahabalipuram, Lunch and return to Bangalore.
- Accommodation in Guest House
- Introduction and Surfing & Kayaking Workshop
- Local Surfing & Kayaking Expert and Gear
- Medical first aid support & Evacuation
Things to Carry:
- Canvas shoes-rubber sole.
- Socks (2 pairs)
- Headlamp/Torch: Mandatory
- Toiletries (Sunscreen, moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, toilet paper, toothbrush, toothpaste).
- Two water bottles: 1 liter each.
- Personal Medications if any
- Plastic covers/Water proof covers to keep wet cloths separately and extra when backpack is not 100% water proof.